The Historical Register is a compilation of information on every
United Methodist Church in the Louisiana Annual Conference.
Baton Rouge
Lake Charles
New Orleans
Luling United Methodist Church
 1001 Paul Maillard Rd.
2003 Membership
Date Founded

     On the second Sunday in September, 1953, Rev. John T. Redmon led 7 people in a service at the American Legion building in Luling.  When the Lion Oil Company opened in town, interest in forming a Methodist church increased.  The decision to start the church was made on May 6, 1954.  There were 25 charter members, led by Rev. Virgil D. Morris.
     The first pastor appointed to the church was Rev. Roland K. Frederich in 1954.  Though they continued to meet in the American Legion building, a parsonage was purchased.  On April 20, 1955, land was donated for $1500 through the generosity of Mr. William, Edmund, and Benjamin Talbots.  In September 1955, a groundbreaking ceremony for the Fellowship Hall was led by Bishop Paul E. Martin.  This would be the first Methodist church on the west bank of St. Charles Parish.  In 1960, an education annex was constructed.  The old parsonage was sold, and a new one built on the church property.  
     In September of 1965, services were temporarily held in the Monsanto Recreation Hall when hurricane Betsy damaged the church.  In 1968, a second education annex was completed.  The present sanctuary was constructed in 1980-1981 and was consecrated on October 14, 1990.
Source: "A Brief History of Luling United Methodist Church" by Joanne Naylor.
How to Get There:
    From I-10, take Hwy 310 south, cross the Miss. River, and exit onto Hwy 18.  OR ... From Hwy 90, take Hwy 310 north and take the exit just before the bridge onto Hwy 18.  Turn right onto Hwy 18.  In Luling, turn right onto Paul Maillard Rd. (also called Hwy 52).  After about .7 miles, the church will be on the left,  just before the St. Charles Hospital's Emergency Entrance.
Historical Register
Main Page
Archives & History
Main Page
Louisiana Conference
Main Page