HISTORICAL REGISTER
LOUISIANA CONFERENCE
THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

Below is the basic information that will appear in the Historical Register.  Please check the information for your church.  If you have knowledge of another church and can help out in other areas, that'd be great as well.  Please let me know if any corrections that need to be made.  If there are significant events that have been left out, please let me know.  Some churches sent in information that was decades old.  If there is new information, please send that in as well.

To the right is a listing of the churches that have no information (or very little).

Below, each church should have statistics (city, physical address, 2003 membership, and date founded).  Then there should be a short church history, followed by written directions on how to get there.  If the source had a title or was clearly written by someone, it may be listed.

The deadline for inclusion in the book is March 31, but please send in your information ASAP.  Corrections/additions received by email through April 15 will be included.

HOME

Church Histories Needed 

Baskin
Clayton
Reveille 
St. Mark's, Monroe
St. Paul, Monroe
Mt. Nebo
Oak Grove
Pioneer
St. Peter
Lawson Chapel
Mangham
Need More Info
Locust Grove
Lea Joyner
Faith, West Monroe
 



Bartholomew United Methodist Church

 City Bastrop
 Address 14974 Old Bonita Rd.
 Membership 31
 Founded 1835

 Local settler William Skanes wanted to start a Masonic lodge and Jay Philip Stiles wanted to start a Methodist Society.  A crude meeting place was set up in 1796.  A building was constructed in 1807 to hold both groups, though Stiles died that same year.  In the early 1800s, circuit riders were assigned to the Ouachita Circuit and are said to have held services at Bartholomew.  [Although this information was found by Dr. Houston Roberts in Masonic records, it cannot be verified.]
 The first recorded pastor to preach in the Bartholomew area was Rev. John G. Jones in 1826.  According to a paper found in Mrs. Matilda Johnson’s Bible, the first frame church building was dedicated on June 25, 1835.
 The current building was constructed in 1853 by the Methodists and the Masons.  There were two doors in the front and one behind the pulpit.  The Masons would access the upper floor by an exterior stairway.  The Masons later surrendered their charter in 1899.  In 1859 the church acquired the deed to the 13 acres of land occupied by the church and cemetery.
 In the 1940s, an inside staircase was built to the second floor, which was converted to a fellowship hall and Sunday School rooms.
 The church was renovated (which included new pews) in the mid 1950s.   A major change was the larger vestibule added in 1957 (replacing a smaller one added in 1950), which had a classroom on one side and restrooms on the other.   In 1960, the second floor was remodeled and the sanctuary floor covered with new oak flooring.  Two years later, the youth bought a lighted cross for the sanctuary and the Pings donated a new organ.
 In 1986, the church was listed as a National Methodist Historical Site.  In 1989, a new fellowship hall was built near the church and dedicated the following year by Bishop William Oden..

Source: Bartholomew United Methodist Church: 1796-1998, Vera Lee Hedges

How to Get There:
 Take Hwy 425 north out of Bastrop.  Turn right onto Hwy 140 (Hwy 425 will continue to the left).  After 5.5 miles, you’ll see the church and cemetery on the right side of Hwy 140.



Beekman United Methodist Church

 City Bastrop
 Address 15097 Lum Day Rd.
 Membership 32
 Founded 1908

 Humphrey’s Chapel was organized by H.G. Roberts and T.S. Randle on August 16, 1908.  When the highway was later relocated, the church was also moved.  Land for the new location (including the two cemeteries) was given to the church by the Crossett Lumber Company.  Though Crossett was bought out by Georgia-Pacific, the gift is valid as long as a church operates on the property.
 The congregation re-organized under the name Beekman Methodist Church on November 1, 1937.  A parsonage was built on Cox St. for Beekman and Memorial.  When charges were separated, Memorial bought out the Beekman’s share of the parsonage.

How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 425 north out of Bastrop.  After the Hwy 140 intersection on the right, go 5 miles north on Hwy 425 (Crossett Rd.) and turn left on Hwy 142 (still Crossett Rd.).  After 2.1 miles the church will be on the left past the tracks.  The cemetery is down the road on the right of the church.



Baskin United Methodist Church

 City Baskin
 Address Hwy 857
 Membership 14
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 15 south out of Monroe to the Baskin community.  Turn left on Hwy 857.  The church is on the left.



First United Methodist Church - Bastrop

 City Bastrop
 Address 222 S. Washington St.
 Membership 389
 Founded 1826

 Methodist preaching in the Bastrop area began in the early 1800s.  The earliest record of a Methodist church in Bastrop dates back to 1826, when Rev. John G. Jones served the Washita Circuit.  The first church on North Washington Street was made of logs.
 In 1855, the congregation built a new frame church on the corner of South Washington and West Hickory Streets under the leadership of Rev. George W. Evans.  The Annual Conference was held at the new facilities later that year.
 Rev. John T. Sawyer led the church in the construction of its first brick church in 1884.
 In 1897, all of the previous church records were destroyed in a fire.
 The present church was built in 1924 under the leadership of Rev. G.A. Morgan.  The pipe organ and stained glass windows were installed in 1928.  An education annex was begun in June 1948 under the leadership of Rev. Jolly B. Harper and completed soon after under the leadership of Rev. Jack H. Midyett.
 An education building was constructed in 1964 under the leadership of Rev. Robert L. Peyton.  Rev. William Peeples led the church in 1984 when an activities building was built.  The church was approved as a United Methodist Historical site by the Louisiana Conference in 1997.

How to Get There:
   The church is on the west side of the first block of S.  Washington St. (Hwy 139) south of E. Jefferson (Hwy 165) in Bastrop.  Note: S. Washington goes one-way to the south.  If coming from the south on S. Franklin St., turn west (left) on Hickory Ave.



Memorial United Methodist Church

 City Bastrop
 Address 2202 E. Madison Ave.
 Membership 65
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
  Head east on Hwy 165 from Bastrop.  From Hwy 139/425, you’ll go 3 miles east (1.2 miles past the point where Madison and Jefferson join) and the church will be on the right.



Reily Memorial United Methodist Church

 City Collinston
 Address 4571 Keller Dr.
 Membership 151
 Founded

 The first record of a church in the Gum Swamp area (as Collinston was then called) was the mention of an Oak Ridge charge on October 11, 1873.  They may have met in homes and at the old Patton School, led by the pastor at that time Rev. George Jackson.  In 1877 a committee met to decide on a location (“at the foot of the hills”) to build a church and parsonage in the Good Hope community.  After James D. Howell donated six acres of land to the church, they built a church 40 by 32 feet in size.  The building, which also served as a school, was located near the entrance of the present Kalorama Nature Preserve.
 On May 28, 1894, John Boatner Reily donated a 50x100’ lot in Collins to the church.  He was asked to leave the church in Bastrop for dancing, so he wanted a church that he could attend and still be allowed to dance.  The nearby Good Hope Church had been torn down and the lumber was brought to Collins to use for the new church.
 A new church was built in 1925-26.  The old church was sold to G.W. Dalgarn who moved it one block away from the site.  It is now a residence.  Various fundraisers were held and the new church was built by the membership.  They even waited for the train every Monday and would ask the salesmen for donations.  The new church was named after the donor of the property.  The Baptist congregation used the building to meet on Friday nights.
 In 1940, John Reily’s younger brother William offered to give the church $10 for every dollar they raised.  After they raised $1000, he gave the church $10,000.  After acquiring a lot from Mrs. Cora Harper, the church property expanded to 130x100’ in size.  The 1926 church was moved to the new lot and used as the education building.  The new church, a copy of an English chapel, was built on the corner of the lot.
 The church bought a lot for $125 in 1944.  With the congregation supplying the labor, materials from a house donated by William B. Reily were used to construct a parsonage on the lot.  That parsonage was eventually sold in 1977.

How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 139 (south from Bastrop, north from Monroe).  Turn east on Hwy 554 (Perryville Rd.).  When you get to Hwy 138, take it to the left towards Collinston.  Turn right on Kelly St. and the church is on the right.



Mer Rouge United Methodist Church

 City Mer Rouge
 Address 11th St.
 Membership 90
 Founded 1893

 The Prairie Mer Rouge Methodist Episcopal Church was first organized by twenty people under the guidance of Loolah McLaurin.  The met at the Sisson School on the Oak Ridge Road, three and a half miles south or Mer Rouge.  Ms. McLaurin later moved the school (she was the principal) to Mer Rouge.  A Ladies Aid Society was formed and led in raising the funds for a church.  The first structure was completed in 1893.  The preacher from Oak Ridge would visit the congregation to conduct services.  In 1901, Mer Rouge built their own parsonage.
 In 1940-41, the Trinity Methodist Church building in Ruston was set to be torn down.  “Miss Gertie” White led a delegation from Mer Rouge to speak to Mr. B.H. Rainwater, who had purchased the Trinity church structure.  They made a deal to acquire the Kilgen pipe organ, the stained glass windows, and the pews.  After months of remodeling work, the newly acquired materials were installed in the Mer Rouge church.
 Not long after the renovation of the sanctuary, an education building was constructed on the east side of the church.  The debts from its construction were paid off in two years.
 In 1975, the membership of the Bonne Ida church merged with Mer Rouge.  SEE ARTICLE

Source: Centennial Celebration, Warren White

How to Get There:
   Head east to Mer Rouge from Bastrop on Hwy 2/165.  In Mer Rouge, turn right on 20th Street.  After a couple of blocks, turn left on 11th St.  The church is on the right.



Mt. Olive United Methodist Church

 City Bastrop
 Address 239 Pruett St.
 Membership 109
 Founded 1874

 Rev. Austin Jones organized the church in 1874.  The first services were held at a blacksmith shop on the corner of Pine and Vine Streets.  The church later bought a lot on the corner of Pruett and Welch Streets from Robert B. Traylor for $50.
 The church was rebuilt in 1896, under the leadership of Rev. P.W. Clark.  It was rebuilt again in 1911 under the leadership of Rev. S. Green.  In those early years, the building served as a school during the week.
 The wood church was replaced by a brick structure in 1950.  Rev. D.L. Davidson held services at the St. Mary C.M.E. Church during construction.  Dr. I. Scott Allen gave the message at the dedication service in July of 1957.
 A new parsonage was built in 1966 under the leadership of Rev. George W.C. Calvin.  The dedication service for the parsonage took place on April 25, 1976 under the leadership of Rev. R.S. Murray.
 A bus was purchased and the windows replaced under the leadership of Rev. S. Charles Byrd.  In the late 1990s, Rev. Johnny M. Riley, Jr. led the church in a total renovation of the facilities.

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 165 in Bastrop, just to the west of the point where W. Madison splits into W. Madison and W. Jefferson, turn north on Pruett St.  The church is a quarter mile ahead on the left.



Boeuf Prairie United Methodist Church

 City Fort Necessity
 Address Hwy 135
 Membership 64
 Founded 1833

 Circuit riders started visiting the area in the early 1800s.  In 1832, Rev. Uriah Whatley was appointed to serve from “Boeuf River up to Big Creek.”  After founding the Boeuf Prairie congregation in 1833, services were held in private homes.
 The church building was constructed in 1837.  The cypress wood and windows were brought up from New Orleans by steamboat.  The church was whitewashed, leading to the nickname the “White Swan.”  In those days the church was the center of parish activities, holding many of the early parish organizational and business meetings.
At the time of the organization of the Louisiana Conference in 1847, the membership contained 141 white and 100 black members.
In 1898, the interior lattice and plaster walls were replaced with beaded woodwork walls.
Since Boeuf Prairie was in a rural area, the pastor typically lived elsewhere in rode in to town … usually holding services once a month.  When Rev. Daniel Barr was appointed to the circuit in 1913, he held services at Boeuf Prairie twice a month.
Since its earliest days, the church property had actually been owned by the Bonner family.  On June 21, 1916, the church formally bought the property for $86.
In 1939, the church building was rotated 180 degrees.  It was moved from the west side of the cemetery to the east side facing eastward towards the recently completed Fort Necessity-Ogden highway.  That same year the church bought the land between the church and the highway (now used as the parking area) from Henry Buie and sold him land at the west side of the cemetery.
Led by Mrs. Lee Wooldridge, fundraising began in 1948 to add Sunday School classrooms.  Her husband got lumber and labor donated from the community over three years.
In 1957, the entrance was modernized.  A large social room was added to the church in 1962 and dedicated the following year.  In 1964, Helen V. Talbert donated property to be used for a parsonage.  The church inherited $20,000 from the estate of long-time member James M. King (after he passed away at age 112) to use for upkeep of the facilities.
 In 1983, the church’s restrooms were remodeled and carpeting added in the sanctuary.

Source: Sesquicentennial History of Boeuf Prairie Methodist Church

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 165, take Hwy 4 east in Columbia.  Upon reaching the Fort Necessity community, turn left (north) on Hwy 135.  The church and cemetery are 0.8 miles ahead on the left.



Little Creek United Methodist Church

 City
 Address
 Membership 36
 Founded 1853

 Black and white settlers in the Archibald and Alto areas came together in 1853 to start the Little Creek church.  As trees were cut down to build the homes and farms in the area, they were used in the construction of the first church.
 After a period of time, the white membership left the building and worshipped with the Alto Presbyterian Church.  The black membership stayed at Little Creek.  They worshipped like this for 24 years.
 After a number of years, cypress was floated down the river from Lindlow Break and a new church was built on the west bank of Little Creek.  The altar and chancel rail was hand-carved with a pocket knife by a local young man.  It was lit by kerosene lamps and heated by a log-type heater.  In the 1920s, electricity was installed.
 The current red brick facility was built in 1955.  It includes classrooms, a kitchenette, and a recreation/dining hall.  The sanctuary used the original altar and pulpit furnishings.  New pews were added in 1956.

How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 15 south from Monroe.  Continue left on Hwy 15 in Alto (where Hwy 135 continues straight to the south).  The church and cemetery are 2.7 miles past the turn on the right.  It is 2 miles to the west of where Hwy 15 hits Hwy 137 and turns right.


 Columbia United Methodist Church

 City Columbia
 Address 501 Church St.
 Membership 177
 Founded

 Services began in the first half of the 19th century as circuit riders held meetings in the area.  Rev. Edwin Yancey wrote that he was sent to Columbia in 1843.  The first Louisiana Annual Conference in 1847 lists Columbia as a charge.  In 1858, property was donated to the church by King and Hyams.  Joining forces with the Masonic Lodge, a two-story building was constructed.  The church used the first floor and the lodge met on the second.
 As they entered the 20th century, the congregation began to look at building a larger facility.  Using a blueprint brought back from Europe by Lillie Blanks, the new church was built of local cypress and completed in 1911.  The original pulpit and pews were used.  The bell came from one of the boats from the Blanks Steamboat Line.  The debt was paid and it was dedicated five years later.
 In the 1930s, an education wing was added onto the structure.  In the 1980s, additional rooms (choir room, pastor’s study, classrooms) were added.

How to Get There:
   Head to Columbia on Hwy 165.  At Church St. (the second light south of the Ouachita River), turn east.  The church is on the right.



Hebert United Methodist Church

 City Hebert
 Address Hwy 561
 Membership 61
 Founded 1894

 At the time the church was established on November 25, 1894, services were held at the Hebert schoolhouse.  The pastor was Rev. G.W. Garret, a former Methodist Episcopal Church, South minister.  The charter members were Henry Olivier Hebert, Amelia Ann Hebert, Emily Smith, and David Duncan.
The first church building was completed in February 1910.  That original location was a few hundred yards north of the present site.  Carpenter Martin Howard built the church on land donated by H.O. Hebert for the church and cemetery.  By 1904, membership had risen to 124.
By 1925, attendance had dropped and services were moved back to the schoolhouse, which was closer to most of those attending.  In 1935, Rev. Virgil Morris led the church in holding services at the church once again and a Sunday School started.
After non-use for a long time, the building was suffering from termite damage.  In 1948, the damaged wood was replaced and four classrooms were added.  In the 1950s, the school board gave the church three rooms from the Ward 8 schoolhouse.  To allow for expansion of  the facilities and cemetery, property was donated to the church by the Martin Howard estate and by Charlie Garner.
Later, the sanctuary received paneling, new windows, new ceiling tile, and a central heating and cooling system.  The church’s pews were replaced and the current set is the third that the church has used.

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 165 in Columbia, head east on Hwy 4.  After 1.3 miles, turn north on Hwy 133.  After 5.85 miles, turn right on Hwy 561 (Hwy 133 will turn left).  The church and cemetery are on the left.



Crew Lake United Methodist Church

 City Start
 Address 2830 Magnolia Dr.
 Membership 121
 Founded 1919

 In 1904, the parish school board gave its permission to hold non-denominational services at the 3rd Ward Central school.  More rooms were added in 1915, with the Methodists and Baptists assisting in the cost and work.  In 1918-19, the Baptists and Methodists worked together to build the Charleston Baptist Church.  After several people joined the congregation during a 1919 revival at that church, the Methodist pastor stated that they had enough members to start a church.  That year, eight families came forward to pledge $100 each toward a new church.  The pastor at that time was Rev. W.R. Harvell.  Mrs. D.A. Whitefield approached the Millsaps family to ask for some land for the church.  They donated the land with the understanding that a church would operate on the property.  Construction began in 1923 and was complete by 1926.
 When the depression hit, the church closed for a while due to a lack of funds.  After a 1934 revival by Rev. R.M. Bentley (from the Gordon Avenue Methodist Church), the congregation rededicated themselves and reorganized.
 A new parsonage was built in 1961 on the church property.  A new brick church was completed  in 1965.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 132 off of I-20 and head north on Hwy 133 towards Start.  The church is 1/3 mile north of I-20 right before the tracks.



Mangham United Methodist Church

 City Mangham
 Address Main St.
 Membership 160
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   Head south on Hwy 15 out of Monroe.  Upon reaching the Mangham community, turn right (west) onto Hwy 132 (Main St.).  The church is 1/5 mile ahead on the right.



Delhi United Methodist Church

 City Delhi
 Address 715 Main St.
 Membership 185
 Founded

 In 1853, Protestant worship services were being held at the Deerfield Masonic Lodge south of Delhi.  A pastor (Rev. Thomas J. Upton) was appointed to “Deerfield” in 1859.  Andrew and Martha Owen donated a lot on Main Street on which to build a church.  According to the deed, the church was to be shared 50-50 between the Methodists and the Presbyterians.  Materials were brought up Bayou Macon from New Orleans and the Methodist pastor led in the construction.  The name of the congregation was changed to Delhi in 1860.
 After sharing the building for a number of years, the Methodists bought a Baptist church in 1873 on Chatham Street to have a church of their own.  The Baptist church was taken down in 1878 and a new structure built.  That building was damaged by a 1905 storm and was rebuilt.  In 1924, the a new church was constructed at the corner of Chatham and Second Streets.
 After Kate and Rudolph Wollank donated a lot at 305 West Ohio Street to the church on September 20, 1929, a parsonage was built.
 In January 1948, the congregation decided to sell the church property and buy five acres of land on which to build new facilities.  The parsonage was sold the following year.  The first service in the new church was held on May 7, 1950.  The new parsonage had been built on the side of the church.  The debts were paid on the church by August 1952, and the dedication took place on February 1, 1953.
 On October 27, 1957, before services began, the church caught fire and burned down.  During the construction of a new building, services were held at the Delhi High School.  The parsonage was moved to 711 Charter Street (and completed May 4, 1968) to make room for the new larger church and education building.  The new church at 715 Main Street was dedicated on May 8, 1966.
The parking area was paved and a covered walkway added in the fall of 1973.  Part of the money to pay off the church debts came from the sale of a home left to the church by Miss Fannie Travis who passed away in 1974.  In 1975, the playground was fenced in and a mini bus purchased.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 153 from I-20 and head north on Hwy 17.  The church is on the left, 1.5 miles north of I-20.



Crowville United Methodist Church

 City Crowville
 Address Cypress Rd.
 Membership 68
 Founded 1913

 On May 10, 1889, the Baptist Church of Christ in Crowville bought a one and a half acres of land on the Harrisonburg Road (Hwy 578) and built a church on the southwest corner of the plot.  The rest of the land was used as a free burial ground.  Since the Methodists and Presbyterians had helped in the construction, on May 23, 1889 an agreement was drawn up to allow those two denominations to worship in the structure on the second and fourth Sundays.
 The Methodist congregation was organized by Rev. D.C. Barr in 1913.  After a visiting minister from Mississippi held a revival there in 1915, the Methodists were inspired to build their own church.  They held services and Sunday School at the Crowville School (at the corner of Hwy 17 and Hwy 577) while they raised money.  The Sunday School was a Union gathering of various denominations.  The community pulled together to haul the lumber from the train station and build the church.
 In 1952, the church decided to build a parsonage.  After buying a lot for $5 from Ellis G. Grube on April 4, 1953, a parsonage was built.  In 1956, the orphanage in Ruston suggested that they exchange a home (that had been left to them by Mrs. Mamie Bush) with the Crowville parsonage.  It was approved in 1958.
In 1968, the church began construction on a new church and education building.  The church was later dedicated in 1975.

Source: History of the Crowville United Methodist Church: 1990-1981, Hazel Guyton Biggs

How to Get There:
  From Hwy 4 on the east side of Winnsboro, take Hwy 17 north.   After 7.9 miles, turn right (just past the post office on the left) onto Cypress Rd. in Crowville.  The church will be on the right.



Epps United Methodist Church

 City Epps
 Address Hwy 134
 Membership 38
 Founded 1920

 In the early 1900s, the closest Methodist church to Epps was the Midway church between Epps and Warden.  When there was bad weather, they couldn’t make the trip.  Led by the Midway pastor, Rev. U. Smart, Methodists in the Epps area organized their own congregation.  Land was donated by Mrs. Tom LeFevre along Hwy. 134 East and the church was built in 1920.  On May 23, 1920, the first service was held in the new building.
 The church burned down in 1933 and was rebuilt the following year.  Classrooms were added during the rebuilding.
In 1953, the parsonage on Holly Street was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. C.L. Miller for $3,000.  Rev. J.B. McCann (the first full-time pastor) and his family were the first occupants of the parsonage.
 After the church burned down on February 28, 1968, services were held at the Epps High School auditorium.  Joe Kelly and Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Lusk donated property across the street from the church property and work began on new facilities on June 15, 1968.  Rev. Theron McKisson led services in the fellowship hall when it was completed, and then in the sanctuary by September when it was finished.   Bishop Aubrey Walton led the dedication service on January 19, 1969.  The old parsonage was sold, and a new one was built next to the church later in 1969.

How to Get There:
 Take exit 153 from I-20 and head north on Hwy 17.  In Epps, turn right (east) on Hwy 134.  The church is about ¼ mile ahead on the right, just past Old Delhi Rd.



Sevier Memorial United Methodist Church

 City Ferriday
 Address 1830 N.E.E. Wallace Blvd.
 Membership 245
 Founded 1910

 The Methodist congregation built the first church in Concordia Parish.  Though services probably began earlier … perhaps between 1904 and 1908, we know that they were definitely in progress by 1908.
 The first services were held at the railroad depot at the head of Louisiana Avenue.  Services were later held on the corner of Louisiana Avenue and Fifth Street at the schoolhouse.  In 1910, lots 1 and 2 on block 21 were donated to the church.  A small one-room church was built.
 Mrs. Carrie D. Sevier donated property on the corner of Louisiana Avenue and Third Street and was helpful in fundraising towards a new church.  When she passed away on January 19, 1922, a committee was appointed to complete the task.  The new church, the Sevier Memorial Methodist Church, was named in memory of her.
 The new brick church was completed and the cornerstone laid in May 1924.  There were 102 members at that time.  The parsonage at that time was a rented home directly south of the post office.
 In 1948, a new annex was constructed.    A brick parsonage was built in 1952 on the corner of Virginia Avenue and Sixth Street while Rev. Don Alverson served as pastor.
 Plans for a larger church began under the leadership of Rev. J.P. McKeithen in 1963.  The new church was completed the following year under the leadership of Rev. Jerry Means.  The prayer room was named in honor of Rev. McKeithen.  The fellowship hall was named in honor of long-time member Carter C. Walles.

How to Get There:
  Head to Ferriday on Hwy 8 from the west or Hwy 15 north or south.  The church is located on the west side of Hwy 65/15, about 1.3 miles north of where Hwy 84 merges with Hwy 65 and turns south.



Clayton United Methodist Church

 City Clayton
 Address McAdams
 Membership 11
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 15 south out of Monroe.  Continue on Hwy 15 (which turns to the left in Sicily Island) to the Clayton community (11.8 miles after the turn).  After crossing the river, turn left on Hwy 566 (McAdams).  The church is 0.3 miles ahead on the left.



Grayson United Methodist Church

 City Grayson
 Address 5213 Hwy. 126 E.
 Membership 113
 Founded 1900

 In 1900, three ministers from Kelly came to hold a revival in Grayson.  They met at an old store on the corner of Hines and Oak Streets.  C.H. Moore was there from the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Mrs. M.E. Bartlett and Cliffie Jones were there from the Methodist Protestant Church.
 Later that year, Rev. A.J. Vallery led in the organization of a Methodist Protestant church.  The first church was built under the leadership of Rev. J.C. Hearne in 1906.  The building was shared by four denominations: Methodist Protestant, Methodist Episcopal Church South, Free Methodist, and Missionary Baptist.  The Sunday School was held together using Union literature.
 About 1906, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized by Rev. H.O. White, who came over from Columbia.  After meeting once each month for a decade, the congregation built their first church in 1917.  The church had been built the previous year in Grayson.
 When the Methodist Protestant church burned down in 1934, the larger M.P. congregation shared the M.E.C.S. church building and they held Sunday School together.  The two congregation merged during a 1939 revival led by Rev. E.E. McKeithen.  At that time, Rev. Virgil Morris was pastor of the Methodist Protestant congregation and Rev. Rex Squyres was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South congregation.  The third branch of Methodism (M.E.C.N.) was represented by Jim Christian.
 A building fund for a new church began in 1942.  Rev. E.M. Mouser proved to be a motivating factor in the drive for a new church building.  On April 28, 1949, the sale of the old church property was approved.  Construction of a new $25,000 church began in May 1949 under the leadership of Rev. George Cagle.  The new church was completed and dedicated on September 19, 1954.  The Grayson and Kelly congregations constructed a new parsonage in 1966.  Classrooms were added in 1973, doubling the available space.  In 1992, the Kelly congregation combined with Grayson.
 Five ministers have come out of this church: Ira Yeager, Harold Corley, Roy Mouser, Lea Joyner, and W.P. McKeithen.

How to Get There:
   Grayson is about 5 miles south of Columbia on Hwy 165.  Turn east at the light onto Hwy 126 (Pine).  The church is 1/6 ahead on the right.



Kilbourne United Methodist Church

 City Kilbourne
 Address Hwy 585
 Membership 102
 Founded

 The first services were held by circuit riders under brush arbors around 1900.  The first church roll was started in 1919.  During cold weather, the congregation met in the school.
 In 1927, the members purchased property for $100.  Two buildings were purchased at auction, moved to the site, and were joined together to make one larger building.
 In 1947, a new structure was completed and painted white.  It had a sanctuary and four classrooms.  The church acquired its first parsonage in 1955, when it received its first full-time pastor..
 The current church, built in 1973 was damaged by a 1976 tornado that destroyed the parsonage.    Homecomings traditionally have been held the third Sunday in October.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 153 from I-20 and head north on Hwy 17.  Kilbourne is less than a mile from the Arkansas border.  Upon reaching the town, turn right on Hwy 585.  The church is about a quarter mile ahead on the left.



Locust Grove United Methodist Church

 City Oak Grove
 Address Old Kilbourne Rd.
 Membership 61
 Founded 1931

 The first services were held by circuit riders in the local schoolhouse.  In 1931, property was acquired and the first church had been built by October.  Using donated wood, the church was built by the congregation.  Funds for the church came from cake walks, box suppers, and donations.
It was replaced in 1963 by the current structure.  The charge shares a parsonage with the Kilbourne church.  In 1979, a fellowship hall was constructed.

How to Get There:
 Take exit 153 from I-20 and head north on Hwy 17.  About 4 miles north of Oak Grove, turn left (west) on Hwy 586 (O’Neal Rd. is to the right).  Turn right on Old Kilbourne Rd. after 1.4 miles.  The church is 0.4 miles ahead on the left, just past Pulltight Rd.



Lake Providence United Methodist Church

 City Lake Providence
 Address 407 First St.
 Membership 222
 Founded

 Circuit riders probably stopped in Lake Providence at the beginning of the 19th century.  Rev. John G. Jones mentions stopping at Lake Providence in 1826 with Ashley Hewitt.  They stayed with Harbid Hood.  Mr. Hood later offered to give Rev. Hewitt land and help him build a home if he’d serve as pastor. Rev. Hewitt was pastor of the Lake Providence charge by 1827.
  In those days, meetings were held outdoors under brush arbors.  In cold or inclement weather they moved indoors to the schoolhouse.  On December 22, 1932, Mr. Hood donated land to the church and the Pecan Grove Church was built along the Mississippi River east of Alsatia, LA.  Church history notes that Lorenzo Dow was one of the preachers that served the area.
 In 1855, Methodists and Presbyterians formed the Pecan Grove Corporation to build a church to share on alternate Sundays.
 On December 29, 1872, the church bought an existing structure on Sparrow Street in town for $600.  It was nicknamed the “Meat Market Church” and “the Little Church around the Corner.”  The pastor at that time was Rev. R.S. Tippet.  The Lake Street Church property was bought for $140 in 1887.
  Mrs. Emma Saint Ingram donated her home and property at the corner of Hood and First Streets in her will (September 23, 1890).  Her house was used as the parsonage, and a new Lake Providence Methodist Episcopal Church, South was built on the property under the leadership of Rev. T.S. Randle.  Dedicated in May 1904 by Bishop Murray, it was a white, Victorian-style frame building.  This church was used until 1962.  When it was taken down, its stained glass windows and altar rails were used in the new church.
 The current red brick church held its first service on Easter Sunday, April 14, 1963.  Construction also included an education building and fellowship hall.  The cornerstone was laid by Bishop Walton on August 11, 1963.  Rev. George York was pastor at that time.  The facilities enclose a grass courtyard that contains a large bell that used to reside at the Willow Point Plantation in Alsatia, LA in 1827.  The church acquired it in 1865 and placed it in the Lake Street Church in 1887.

How to Get There:
   Head to Lake Providence on Hwy 65.  If coming from the north, turn right on Hood St.  Turn right on First St. and the church will be on the right.  If coming from the south, turn left on First Street and the church is 2 blocks ahead on the right.



First United Methodist Church - Monroe

 City Monroe
 Address 3900 Loop Road
 Membership 1436
 Founded

 The first Methodist society was organized in Monroe in 1826.  Circuit riders were assigned to visit Monroe and nearby charges in that time.  In 1853, a Union church was built for the Protestant congregations.   Each of them used the church for one Sunday per month.  The upper floor was used for Masonic lodge meetings.
 It was noted in the local paper that the church was painted and repaired in 1866.
 On November 14, 1869, the Nolly Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South was incorporated under the leadership of Rev. R.S. Trippett.  Land was purchased on the corner of Jackson and Grammont Streets the following month (December 4).  Rev. Trippett’s successor, Rev. Charles N. Evans, was pastor when Nolly Chapel built a brick church.  While the church was still being completed, a school for Protestant girls began on January 14, 1871.     The following year, the Union church burned down.  In 1876, the church collapsed under the weight of a 13” snowfall.  The church returned the building materials and the lot and the congregation was without a church.  In 1878, another lot was bought for $500 and donated to the church.  Rev. P.H. Moss led the congregation in building a new church.
 The decision to relocate downtown  began under the leadership of Rev. E.N. Evans in the late 1890s.  Dr. James Lovick Pierce was pastor at the time of the completion of the new brick church in 1899.
 In the 1950s, Rev. George M. Pomeroy began the drive for a new church, since the downtown area was in decline.  The first building constructed, the fellowship hall, was used as a sanctuary for ten years.  An education building was constructed a few years after.
 The current sanctuary was built in 1980 under the leadership of Rev. Odell Simmons.  The stained glass windows depict Old and New Testament principles.  A pipe organ was added in the 1990s.  The sanctuary’s mortgage was paid off in June 1997.

Source: FUMC Monroe Church Directory

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 165, about a mile north of Hwy 80, take Loop Rd. to the west.  The church is less than half a mile ahead on the left.



Hope United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 700 South 6th St.
 Membership 117
 Founded 1993

 In the early 1990s, the Monroe District determined that there was a need for a church in south Monroe.  Rev. Larry Martin was appointed in June 1993 to start a church.  Starting with ten people, services were held at the chapel at Northeast.  The first gathering of eight people was a Bible study on June 27, 1993.
 On December 18, 1993, a former Baptist church at 700 South 6th Street was purchased and renovated.  After a meeting, the name “Hope” was picked for the new church.  The consecration took place on January 23, 1994.  On September 18, 1994, the church was finally organized with 35 charter members (plus 10 more added by the end of the year).  By October 15, 1995, the debt had been paid off.

How to Get There:
   Exit I-20 at Texas Ave.  From Texas Ave., turn south on S. 6th St. and the church wil be on the right, just past Girod.



St. Paul United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 3101 Jackson St.
 Membership 78
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   Head south on Jackson St. (Bus Hwy 165) south of I-20 in Monroe.  The church is on the east side of the road just south of Thomas Ave.



Lea Joyner Memorial United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 4390 Old Sterlington Rd.
 Membership 1195
 Founded 1952

 The congregation began in 1952 as the Southside Methodist Church after the Bishop linked three mission churches (Gibson’s Chapel, North Grand, South Grand) and Fairbanks Church north of Monroe.  Rev. Lea Joyner was appointed as its pastor.  After her death in 1985, the church was renamed after her.
 In January 1992, the church relocated to its current site.

How to Get There:
   Head north on Hwy 165 out of Monroe.  Turn right (east) on Finks Hideaway Rd.  After 0.4 miles, turn left on Old Sterlington Rd.  The church is 0.6 miles ahead on the right.



Memorial United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 401 Sherrouse
 Membership 200
 Founded 1945

 Rev. W.C. Mason (of the Gordon Avenue Methodist Church) and D.S. Rev. H.M. Johnson led a group of laypersons that thought a church was needed in a growing area of Monroe.  An organizational meeting was held by the two ministers and seventeen laypersons in March of 1945.  Rev. Mason began holding services at the Sherrouse elementary school.   The name “Memorial” was proposed by Fred Willis and it was approved.
 By September 1, the new congregation had 68 charter members.  Three adjacent lots were purchased on Sherrouse Avenue.  In the summer of 1946, the church got its first full-time pastor when Rev. George Pearce agreed to come over from Alexandria.  A  parsonage was soon acquired at 215 Bell Street.  Work began on a two-story brick education building by November 1947 and the cornerstone was laid on February 8, 1948.  During Rev. Pearce’s three years at Memorial, the membership rose to almost 500.
 The original parsonage was sold in 1951 and a home on the same block as the church was purchased.  After the purchase of two more lots and a donation from the real estate company, the church owned the entire block.
 In 1953, fundraising began towards a new sanctuary.  The new church was constructed in 1955-56 under the leadership of Rev. Ralph Cain.  It’s first service was held on April 22, 1956.  Since several items were excluded from the building contract to keep it under budget, additional work and items (such as air conditioning) were added afterwards.  In 1970, the parking area was paved.

Source: Out of the Past, Quadricentennial Anniversary

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 165 in Monroe, head east on Hwy 80 (DeSiard).  After about half a mile, turn right on Sherrouse.  The church is 3 blocks ahead on the left.



Reveille United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 3909 Nutland Rd.
 Membership 28
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 165 by-pass, about a mile south of I-20, turn east on Hadley St.  Take a left on Nutland Rd.  The church is on the right after about 1/3 mile.



Union United Methodist Church

 City Charlieville
 Address 3055 Hwy. 132
 Membership 17
 Founded 1879

 On June 27, 1879, about five and a half acres of property were donated for a Union Church (to serve Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians).  The donors were the heirs of John P. McIntosh … Leonidas McIntosh, Margaret McIntosh, and Cornelia McIntosh Hatch.  The first appointed Methodist pastor was Rev. N.C. Connell, appointed to the charge in December 1880.
 The first structure was built sometime between 1887 and 1890 under the leadership of Rev. J.F. Patterson.  The outside was white with a steeple.  The inside had two aisles.   The original railing around the pulpit is still used in the present church.  When the presiding elder would visit, dinner was held out under the oak trees in the yard.
 In an 1895 document, the same donation was mentioned but the church was called the Union Methodist Church.  A note in the diary of Mr. C.M. Noble mentioned that the pastor Rev. J.T. Reames had begun taking subscriptions for a new church which was to be a Methodist Episcopal Church, South congregation.
 In 1916, a tornado destroyed the church, though some of the pews were salvaged.  They had to chop a hole in the church floor to release a herd of hogs that had been trapped.  Rev. Patterson was called from Rayville to design and build a new church.   Improvements were made later in 1947, 1953, and 1958.
 On March 27, 1918, a house was purchased from Leo McConnell for $2,800.  It was used as a parsonage for the pastor serving Union, Little Creek, and Mangham.  After it was burned down in a 1933 fire, a new home was built.  In 1959, Mangham paid for the Union-Little Creek share of that parsonage and Union-Little Creek built a new parsonage near Alto in 1962 on land donated by Stanley Thomason.  The first pastor in the parsonage was Rev. J.D. Strozier.

Source: History of Union United Methodist Church, Jimmie Kenton

How to Get There:
   Head south on Hwy 15 out of Monroe.  Upon reaching the Rhymes community, turn right (south) on Hwy 133.  After about 5 miles, turn left (east) onto Hwy 132.  The church and cemetery will be about two and a half miles ahead on the right.



St. James United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 916 Adams St.
 Membership 45
 Founded 1868

 Property for a church and a school was purchased for $200 from the Don Juan Filhiol family on March 23, 1868.  Two wooden buildings were constructed at the corner of Adams and Congo Streets.  The school served first through third grades.
 In 1923, the current church was built under the leadership of Rev. Hubbard Daniels.  The contractors for the new church included Arthur Smith, Frank McNeal, and Louis Ward … all members of the church.
 In 1966, the church started a child care center.  Mrs. Ruth Brown was the first director.
 On October 29, 1992, the church was added to the National Register of Historical Places.  The pastor at that time was Rev. Robert Addison.
 St. James was the first church in the Louisiana Conference to have an integrated pulpit.  This occurred during the episcopacy of Bishop William Oden.  Rev. Ellen Blue served the church as part of her Perkins School internship in 1994.

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 80 (Louisville Ave.) in Monroe, turn south onto S. 18th St.  Then take a left on Adams.  The church is 1/5 mile ahead on the left, just past the tracks.



St. Mark’s United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 513 Lincoln Rd.
 Membership 351
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   In east Monroe, just north of the airport, turn off of Hwy 80 (DeSiard) onto Hwy 139 (Lincoln Rd.) and head NE.  The church is 1.4 miles ahead on the right.



St. Paul’s United Methodist Church

 City Monroe
 Address 1901 Lexington Ave.
 Membership 1174
 Founded 1952

 In 1950, the First Methodist Church congregation in Monroe saw the need for a new congregation in north Monroe.  In 1952, 204 founding members formed the Northside Methodist Church.  The first service was held at the Georgia Tucker Elementary School on June 15, 1952.  On September 14, 1952, Dr. Ben Oliphant started holding services at the Lexington Elementary School.  Four days later, the 204 charter members changed the name of the congregation to St. Paul’s.
 The Monroe Board of Missions and the First Church bought property at the corner of Orell Place and Lexington Avenue for the new congregation.  A parsonage was constructed at 1626 Milton Street.  The first church building was completed in the fall of 1953.  St. Paul’s Day School was a vital part of increasing the membership to over 600 by the end of the decade.
 New facilities were completed in May 1969.  After the current sanctuary was built and held its first service on May 11, 1969, the old sanctuary was used as a fellowship hall.  The facilities contained kitchens, social areas, restrooms, twenty-two classrooms, a nursery, a library, offices, and a game room.
 For the 25th anniversary in 1977, a Carillon Bell System was installed.  In the 1980s, the kitchen and older section of the church were remodeled.  A new parsonage was acquired on Morgan Street, and the associate pastor resided in the Milton Street home.  When the facilities were renovated in 1999, a new office wing,, choir room, and pipe organ were added.  The chapel is known as the Grayson-Godfrey Chapel.

How to Get There:
   From exit 117 on I-10, head north on Hwy 15 (N. 5th St.).  After a couple of miles, take a right on Forsythe Ave. and then take Lexington Blvd. to the left.  The church is 0.6 imiles ahead on the left, just after Orell Pl.



Mt. Nebo United Methodist Church

 City Perryville
 Address Nebo Rd.
 Membership 32
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
 Head north on Hwy 165 from Monroe.  Go past Hwy 2 west (which heads to Sterlington).  Continue north on Hwy 165/2 through Perryville.  Turn left on Gus Pryor Rd. (1 miles past the parish line, just before a small golf course).  The road curves to the right.  Take a left on Levee Rd. and then a left on Nebo Rd.  The church and cemetery will be on the right.



Washington Chapel United Methodist Church

 City Bastrop
 Address 12844 Crossett Rd.
 Membership 41
 Founded

 The history of the foundation of Washington Chapel was lost when a fire destroyed the church records in the late 1920s.  The pastor at that time was Rev. T.A. Hampton.  It is known that the church is named after its founder, Tom Washington.  The first church building was located near the banks of Bartholomew in Morehouse Parish.  After that church burned down, the congregation relocated to the main road.  At that time, it was a dirt road (it was later graveled).
 It was later rebuilt along the highway.  Rev. Robert S. Murray was leading the church when it was completed in September 1956.

How to Get There:
 Take Hwy 425 north out of Bastrop.  After the Hwy 140 intersection on the right, go 2 miles north on Hwy 425 (Crossett Rd.).  The church is on the right.



Mt. Sinai United Methodist Church

 City Sterlingon
 Address 101 Third St.
 Membership 35
 Founded

 The Mt. Sinai church was established in the 1860s.  It was in existence when the Bailey, Lowe, and Paster families moved to the area from Macon County, GA.  While Rev. T.H. Harris was pastor in 1929, the church burned down.  Services were held in the Masonic Hall until the church was rebuilt in 1935.  The pastor at that time was Rev. T.J. Bridgett.
 In the 1950s, most of the members had relocated to the Davis Lowe subdivision.  So in 1958, the church was dismantled.  Since the new location was quite a distance away, the congregation decided to buy the old Sterlington Bank building to use for services.  While the building was renovated for use as a church, services were again held in the Masonic Hall.  The pastor at that time was Rev. F.W. Thomas.  The new church facility was dedicated in November 1959.
 After the building was damaged by a chemical explosion in Sterlington on May 1, 1991, Rev. Dan Bryant led the church in repairs to the structure.

How to Get There:
   Head north on Hwy 165 from Monroe.  Turn left (west) on Hwy 2 towards Sterlington.  Turn left on Solvent Rd.  Go to 3rd St. and turn left.  The church is on the right.



Newellton Union Church

 City Newellton
 Address 306 South Main St.
 Membership 63
 Founded 1890

 In 1890, the Newellton Union Church was formed to “mold the lives of the people of Newellton into Christian Character.”  When Presbyterian ministers J.S. Hillhouse and F.L. McCue visited the town in 1889, they held services in private homes and urged the citizens to form a church.  On June 10, 1890, the Tensas First Presbyterian Church was organized.
The first church was built upon land donated by Mr. Isadore Newman of New Orleans.  Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish congregations used the facility.  Each had a box of its denominations religious symbols that would be taken out and used for their respective services.
Sometime between 1913 and 1920, the church was disposed of.  It is now located on Hwy. 608 northeast of Newellton where the road turns east along the levee.  By 1920, they were using the current church building.  By that time, it seems that Methodists were also using the church for services.  But over the years, the separate congregations remained small and regular preachers weren’t assigned to Newellton.
On November 11,1928, they met together to organize the denominations (Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Christian Church) into a single Union church and hire a full-time pastor.  In March 1929, Rev. L.L. Lemon from the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) started his service.  He was followed by a Methodist pastor, Rev. Otis Spinks, in 1930.  The Baptists left the Union church to form their own church in 1935.
The church continued to grow and needed larger facilities by the mid 1930s.  The current sanctuary was built in 1937.  Additional property was purchased in 1950, bringing the church’s total to 2.3 acres of land.  After adding a new steeple in 1966, an education building was constructed and dedicated in 1967.  Bishop Aubrey Walton led the service.  A parsonage was acquired in 1974.
As it looked for a new pastor in 1989, the church found out that they had never officially aligned themselves with either the United Methodist or Presbyterian Church.  An agreement was made and signed by Bishop Oden and the church.  The members do not belong specifically to the United Methodist or Presbyterian Churches, but are members of the Newellton Union Church.  The total membership number is divided in two and half are counted as United Methodist and half as Presbyterians (for statistical purposes).  United Methodist and Presbyterian ministers alternate approximately every eight years.  The first minister under this agreement was United Methodist pastor Kenneth Graham in 1989.

Source: Newellton 100th Anniversary booklet

How to Get There:
   Head to Newellton on Hwy 65 or Hwy 4 from the west.  Take Hwy 4 east (Verona St.) at the Hwy 65/4 intersection.  After 1.2 miles, turn right on S. Main St. (Hwy 605).  The church is 1/6 miles ahead on the left.



Oak Grove United Methodist Church

 City Oak Grove
 Address S. Horner & Marietta
 Membership 142
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
 Take exit 153 from I-20 and head north on Hwy 17.  Upon arriving in Oak Grove, turn right (east) on Hwy 2 (E. Main St.).  After 3 blocks, turn right on S. Horner St.  The church is on the left.



Pioneer United Methodist Church

 City Pioneer
 Address Ash St.
 Membership 35
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
 Take exit 153 from I-20 and head north on Hwy 17.  At Pioneer, turn left (west) onto Hwy 588 (Cherry St.).  Turn right on 3rd St. and then left on Ash St.   The church is on the right.



Rayville United Methodist Church

 City Rayville
 Address Louisa St.
 Membership 343
 Founded 1860

 The first record of a pastor being assigned to the area was the appointment of Moses Davis to the Ion charge in February of 1858.  The name was changed to the Richland charge in 1869.  The town of Rayville wasn’t organized until 1870.
 Court records show that the Methodist church acquired three pieces of land in 1860: one in Girard, one in Jonesburg (just north of Rayville), and one at Horn Cemetery (one mile southwest of Rayville).  A log structure called Horn Chapel was built on the land bought from John Horn for $20.  After the Civil War, the building was also used as a school.  Services were held at the Union Lodge and Church Building after it was built in 1889.  The first resident minister was Rev. S.H. Whatley in 1900.
In 1906, a new church was built under the leadership of Rev. J.R. Roy.  That building later served as the social hall.  Though the congregation wanted to build a new church in the 1920s, the depression caused a delay in the plans.  Property was purchased behind the church.  During Rev. Jack H. Midyett’s tenure (1942-47), the church was moved back to the southeast corner of the property.  Wings were added to provide classroom space.  With funds donated by the Franklin family, a new parsonage was built and was dedicated on February 8, 1948.  Bishop Paul Martin gave the message that day.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 138 from I-20 and head north into Rayville on Hwy 137.  One mile after the road splits, the church will be on the right after Francis St.



Holly Ridge United Methodist Church

 City
 Address Hwy. 183
 Membership 19
 Founded 1949

 At the time of its beginning in September 1949, the fledgling congregation met at the school under the leadership of Rev. Earl B. Emmerich.  The first church was constructed with a $20,000 donation (though more had to be contributed to finish the building) by Mr. George B. Franklin, Sr. and Mr. Jesse E. Cochran.  On March 16, 1952, the first building was dedicated in a service led by Bishop Paul E. Martin.  Though it was a small community, with a post office, saw mill, gin, and a few grocery stores, the church was very active in those days.
 The original church burned down on March 6, 1960.  Only the organ, refrigerator, stove, two tables, and a few chairs were spared.   Using the $35,000 in insurance money, a new structure was soon built and was dedicated on December 15, 1963.  A new sanctuary and the shell of an education wing had been built.  The education wing was later completed.
 Over the years, much of the area population has moved away or started worshipping at the Rayville church.  The church still worships with its small but faithful congregation.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 145 from I-20 and head north on Hwy 183.  The church on the left, about 1/3 mile past the Hwy 80 intersection.



St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church

 City Sterlington
 Address 143 Church St.
 Membership 162
 Founded

 In the early 1900s, the people of the Fairbanks and Sterlington communities built a church in which to hold services.  People of various denominations worshipped together in that one-room building.  In 1920 the Southern Carbon Company build a new structure.  Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians used the facility on alternate weeks.  The Baptists left in 1946 and built their own church; and the Presbyterians left to build their own structure in 1959.
 Lay leaders from Fairbanks and Sterlington decided to build their own church as well.  Named by D.S. J.T. Harris, the St. Andrew’s church held it’s first service on March 19, 1961.  The pastor of the new church was Rev. George Harbuck.
 A parsonage was added in 1962.  A fellowship and activities building was acquired in 1980.  The church got a new steeple in 1997.  The parking lot was paved in 2000.

How to Get There:
   Head north on Hwy 165 from Monroe.  Turn left (west) on Hwy 2 towards Sterlington.  Immediately turn north on Old Sterlington Rd. and then take the left on Church St. to the church.  It can be seen from Hwy 2.



Oak Ridge United Methodist Church

 City Oak Ridge
 Address S. Oak St.
 Membership 91
 Founded 1860

 In the early 1800s, the Griffings and other families in the Prairie Jefferson area attended services given by circuit riders passing through.
 In 1860, heirs of William Davis gave the Oak Ridge Church two acres of land on which to build a Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  Records note that in 1864 the partially completed church was buing used as a hospital for recovering soldiers.  With the war over, $2,500 was subscribed in 1866 to finish paying for the church.  The completed church had two doors.  There was a partition down the middle of the pews, with males sitting on one side and females on the other.
 In 1878, a parsonage was built.  N.S. Cornell brought lumber to the site in his buggy.  The following year, the local post office changed its name from Point Jefferson to Oak Ridge.
 In 1889, “Aunt Pony” Randle collected money for a church bell.  The bell, which was picked up at Ion landing (Girard) on the Boeuf River, was housed separate from the church.
 In 1906, A vestibule entrance with a belfry and one wide front door was built at the front of the church.
 The old parsonage was torn down in 1926.  A six-room parsonage was constructed in1934 and dedicated by Bishop Hoyt Dobbs.
 In 1951, the cornerstone was laid on the new education building.  The following year, plans began on renovating the church.  Renovations, completed by 1955, included lowering the ceiling, removing the center posts, and replacing classrooms at the entrance with a colonial gallery and columns.  The dedication service was led by Bishop Paul Martin.

How to Get There:
   From Hwy 80 in NE Monroe, take Hwy 139 north through Schwartz.  Turn right (east) onto Hwy 134.  The church is on the left about 1/3 mile west of the post office.



First United Methodist Church – St. Joseph

 City St. Joseph
 Address 301 Levee St.
 Membership 129
 Founded 1952

 For over fifty years, Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians in St. Joseph worshipped at a Union Church.  The Union Church Association had been incorporated in 1902 and a lot donated for a church by one of the Methodists,  Mrs. Atlas Brown.  A church was built and dedicated in 1903.  The Baptists left in 1938 when they completed their own church.
After starting a building fund, the Methodists chartered and incorporated their church on October 20, 1952.  The Methodist congregation completed their first building in 1957 and dedicated it March 8, 1959.  That first building was an education building, but services were held there until the completion of a sanctuary in 1962.  The dedication service for the new sanctuary was held on May 2, 1965.
After having parsonages on 3rd Street and on 4th Street, the current parsonage is located at 440 Newton Street.
In June 2000, the congregation of Wesley Chapel merged with the First Church of St. Joseph.  Services were still held twice a year (spring and autumn) at Wesley Chapel.

How to Get There:
   Head to St. Joseph on Hwy 65.  Turn on Hwy 128 (Plank Rd.) and head east for 3.4 miles.  Turn right on Levee St. (Hwy 897-1).  The church is on the right.



St. Peter United Methodist Church

 City Lake Providence
 Address Hood St.
 Membership 10
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   Go to Lake Providence on Hwy 65.  Turn south on Hood St.  The church is 3 blocks ahead on the left.  If entering from the south, you can turn left on 4th St. (Hwy 883) and the church will be a couple of blocks ahead on the right.



Lawson Chapel United Methodist Church

 City Bonita
 Address 2nd St.
 Membership 16
 Founded

NOTHING

How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 165 out of Bastrop.  The highway turns to the left (north) in Mer Rouge.  Continue on to Bonita.  You’ll turn right on 2nd St. 0.4 miles past the Hwy 140/599 intersection.  The church is on the right.



Sicily Island United Methodist Church

 City Sicily Island
 Address Newman Ave.
 Membership 98
 Founded

 In the second half of the 19th century, the area of present-day Sicily Island was served by the Pine Hill Church located about five miles away.  That Methodist church had been built around 1860.
 When a railroad came through the area, a town named Florence was formed in 1890.  Its name was changed to Sicily Island in 1912.  As the town grew, the Methodists wanted a church closer to home.  H.M. Peniston donated an acre of land in 1893 so that a parsonage could be built.  Two years later, Louis K. Hyde of Titusville, PA donated a lot on which to build a church.
 At first, services were held in a school.  Revivals were held between 1905 and 1908 by two preachers from Texas … Sister Bartlett and Sister Pardue.  The revivals helped to inspire people to organize and build the church.
 A pastor (Rev. S.S. Bogan) was assigned in 1908 and led seventy people in uniting with the church on November 21, 1909.  The structure, which was the first church building in town, was completed by 1910.  There were seventy members at that time.  A parsonage was completed about 1912.  Classrooms were added in 1945.
 By 1962, the church had acquired five lots towards the front of the block.  A new sanctuary was built and was completed by 1965.  The previous sanctuary was used as an education building for about a decade.  In 1975, a new education building was constructed.  The rear half of the block was purchased in 1974.  The church owned the complete block after the last two lots were donated to the church by Jeanette Saltzman Gremillion in 1988.
 In 1995, construction began on the Darien Reid Bird Family Life Center.  It was dedicated on April 29, 1996

How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 15 south from Monroe to Sicily Island.  Turn right on Hwy 8 and the church will be 0.2 miles ahead on the right.



Gilbert United Methodist Church

 City Gilbert
 Address Hanna St.
 Membership 68
 Founded

 Methodism in the area began with circuit riders in the early 1800s.  It was firmly established by 1832, and the first church was built at Oakley in 1838.  It was used as a school for a while during the Civil War.  At the end of the war, it was used as a mustering out place for the Tensas Calvary.
 At the end of the 19th century, a railroad was built through nearby Gilbert.  The congregation decided to move and built a frame church there in 1900.  A larger two-story brick structure was built in 1923 to accommodate the growing congregation.  Since it was large and had a Hammond Spinet organ, other denominations used the church for special events.
 Although the church had 158 members in 1943, its numbers have decreased over the years due to lack of work in the area.  The church building was showing its years and was taken down in 1964-65.  It was replaced with a smaller building.

 How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 15 south of Monroe and go through Winnsboro to Gilbert.  Turn right (west) on Hanna St. (to the left is Hwy 572).  The church is on the Left.



Tallulah United Methodist Church

 City Tallulah
 Address S. Cedar
 Membership 340
 Founded 1873; 1905

 On February 11, 1873, Mrs. J.R. Askew donated two lots on the south side of North Louisiana and Texas Railroad for the purpose of building a church.  The Union church was built either that year or the next and still stands.  It was shared by the Episcopal and Methodist congregations.  It was moved in early 1905 to North Cedar Street and was used by the Trinity Episcopal Church.  The railroad company didn’t give its permission for the move, and in fact a train was delayed because it arrived when the church was being moved over the tracks.
 The minister came from Dehli once a month to hold services.  When the original two lots were sold for $1,100 and the money split between the Episcopal and Methodist congregations.  With their share, the Methodists bought a lot for $400 from Amanda Stone.  Led by Rev. R.C. Grace, the Methodists built their first church in 1905.  The builder was a Mr. Roberts.  Bishop Ward of Texas dedicated the church in July 1906.  Rev. Grace supplied the pulpit and the pews were bought in Monroe.
 A small two-room building was constructed later on to help provide space for Sunday School.  As the church grew older, it was decided to tear it down and build a new one.  Services were held by Rev. H.W. Rickey at the schoolhouse during construction.
 The first service for the new brick church was held on Mother’s Day, May 11, 1930.   The church dedication service was led by Bishop A. Frank Smith on April 26, 1942.
 In 1955, a house on  the corner of Bayou Drive and Scott Street was purchased to provide Sunday School space.  At the end of that year, plans began on a new education building.   The building was completed by the start of 1961.
 Additional property was purchased in 1967 for $10,000.  In 1970, the congregation voted to allow the educational building to be used as a private school.  The debt on the building was paid off by December 1974.  A new roof and steeple were put on the church in 1975.  The inside received new memorial windows that same year.  After installing a new bell tower in 1976, the old bell was set up on the church lawn.
 In 1977, the parsonage on Clinton Street was sold and a new one purchased.  Bishop Kenneth Shamblin visited the church on January 29, 1978 to hold a dedication service for the church and a consecration service for the parsonage.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 171 from I-20 and head into Tallulah on Hwy 65.  Stay to the right when the street splits after 1.25 miles.  The church is on the right on S. Cedar.



Vidalia United Methodist Church

 City Vidalia
 Address N. Oak St.
 Membership 194
 Founded 1880

 On April 7, 1880, Pauline Davis Carter donated land on which to build a Methodist Episcopal Church, South structure.  The town had been named after her grandfather, Don Jose Vidal.  The first church was soon built, though it later burned down and was rebuilt.  The church was a Union church and was shared by other Protestant denominations.
 On January 30, 1930, the church elected to relocate to the corner of North Spruce and Concordia Streets, on property that was donated by Mr. T.J. Bingham.  The move was necessary because the new levee put much of the town in the Mississippi River.  Many other structures were also relocated.
 Rev. Lael S. Jones became the first full-time resident pastor in 1949.
 The Baptists left the Union church in 1944 and built their own church.  About that time, the Methodists constructed an education building.  While Rev. Harold Hine served as pastor (1955-60), the property at the corner of Florida and North Oak Streets was purchased.
 In 1958, the Presbyterians purchased the old Union church property and rededicated it as a Presbyterian church in 1971.
 In the mid 1960s, a brick parsonage was built on property that had been donated by Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Johnson.  Work began while Rev. Arby W. Coody was pastor and was completed while Rev. William Odell Simmons was pastor.  Bishop Aubrey Walton led the consecration service in the spring of 1966.
 In March of 1966, Rev. Dan Tohline dressed as an early Circuit Rider and left from Vidalia on horseback to ride to Baltimore, MD for the bicentennial celebration.
 In the late 1960s, improvements were made to the facilities and property next to the church was purchased.  In December 1971, the debt from the buildings built fourteen years earlier was paid off.

How to Get There:
   Head into Vidalia on Hwy 84/65 from Ferriday.  Turn left (north) on N. Oak St.  The church will be 1/3 mile ahead on the right.



Asbury United Methodist Church

 City Claiborne
 Address New Natchitoches Rd.
 Membership 150
 Founded 1947

 In late 1946, the Methodist Men of First Church in West Monroe surveyed the area of Brownsville outside of West Monroe to inquire into the possibility of starting a new church in that area.  After getting a positive response, a revival was held in 1947. Land was acquired next to Brown Street and the tent set up.  At the end of the revival, fourteen people stepped forward to form the new congregation.  D.S. Rev. W.H. Giles organized the church with sixty-five members.
Charlie Chisholm had paid for the tent and offered its use until a building could be constructed. Isaac A. Patton, Jr. served as the first pastor for a few months, but was replaced by Rev. C.K. Brooks by the end of the year.
 Plans for a church were drawn on a brown paper bag by A.L. Roberts.  Using labor provided by the members, the $22,000 church was completed by February 1948.  A parsonage was also built.
 Under the leadership of Rev. Durbin in the late 1950s, a new sanctuary was constructed and dedicated.
When it came time to move again, Walter Works helped finance the property for the new location … five acres on New Natchitoches Road.  An agreement to sell the old property was signed in the summer of 1975.  The $200,000 church was built during the first half of 1976 under the leadership of Rev. Carole Cotton-Winn.  It included a sanctuary, a fellowship hall, classrooms, a kitchen, and recreation space.  At that time, the church changed its name from Brownsville to Asbury United Methodist Church.

Source: Asbury United Methodist Church: 1947-1997, Janelle Wheelis

How to Get There:
    Take exit 112 from I-20 and head south on Well Rd. for a mile.  Turn right (west) on New Natchitoches Rd. (Hwy 838).  The church is 0.6 miles ahead on the right.



Claiborne United Methodist Church

 City West Monroe
 Address 5401 Cypress St.
 Membership 85
 Founded 1920

 The first services in the area were camp meetings held on the site of the present school.  After the first school was built in 1908-09, visiting Methodist circuit riders used it to hold services.  Rev. J.R. Roy, pastor of the church in West Monroe, accepted ten members at a service at the school in 1919. By mid 1920, interest had risen in building a Methodist church.  Rev. H.W. Ledbetter led the congregation as fundraisers generated capital.
 Mrs. W.A. Burt donated a lot on Claiborne Road on which to build a Community Methodist Church.  Mrs. Minnie Burt Haynes sold a lot to the church for $25.  Local men built a 30x60’ building, located behind the present-day Claiborne School.  The church’s first seats came from Colony Methodist when it disbanded.  After pews were later built, those chairs were given to another church.  Worship was held every other Sunday afternoon.
 Property was bought from Mr. W.R. Williams on the corner of Well Road and Hwy 80 West in 1947.  The first service was held in the new church on Easter Sunday, 1948.  An education building was constructed in 1958.  That building is now used as a fellowship hall and for day care.  The Day Care Center was begun during the pastorate of Rev. Ed Parks (1979-83).
 In 1984, the old parsonage was moved from its lot and a new one built.  In 1986, plans were made to renovate the church.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 112 from I-20 and head north on Well Rd.  After 1/3 mile, turn left on Hwy 80 (Cypress St.).  The church is on the left.



Wilhite United Methodist Church

 City West Monroe
 Address Parish Rd. 5506
 Membership 41
 Founded 1891

 The oldest church record, dated February 1, 1891, shows that Rev. R.A. Davis was the pastor at that time.  Original members included families such as Henry, Carie, Wilhite, Aulds, Taylor, Wallace, Ward, Coswell, Hodge, Simmons, and Hite.  On June 20, 1891, J.W. Wilhite sold the church an acre of land for $2.50 and a church was built.
The Pine Grove congregation (which had been located one mile west of Point) eventually merged with the Wilhite congregation.  The Mars Hill congregation had earlier merged with Pine Grove.
 After the church burned down in the 1920s, the current church was built under the supervision of Jack Watson.  Concrete front steps were added in 1948.  In the 1950s, a fellowship hall, a kitchen, and restrooms were constructed.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 108 from I-20.  Head north on Cheniere Drew Rd. (Hwy 546) to Hwy 15.  Turn left on Hwy 15.  After almost 5 miles, turn right on Hwy 552.  Head north on Hwy 552 for 3.2 miles.  Take a right parish rd. 5506.  The church is a quarter mile ahead on the left.



Faith United Methodist Church

 City West Monroe
 Address 3510 Arkansas Rd.
 Membership 252
 Founded 1984

 In 1984, McGuire United Methodist Church sponsored the formation of a new congregation in the Drew community.  The first gatherings were Sunday School classes held in a trailer near the current site of the church.  The first service was held on April 22, 1984 at the Drew School cafeteria.

How to Get There:
 Take exit 108 from I-20.  Head north on Cheniere Drew Rd. (Hwy 546) to Hwy 15.  Turn right.  Veer left onto Hwy 616 (Arkansas Rd.).  The church is on the left, just to the west of Johnson Rd.  Or, heading west on Hwy 80 turn north on Wallace Rd. in Claiborne and then left on Arkansas.



First United Methodist Church – West Monroe

 City West Monroe
 Address 1411 Glenwood Dr.
 Membership 882
 Founded 1847

 The congregation began as the Trenton Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  A plaque on the building says that it was founded in 1847.  The first church structure was built about 1850 in Trenton.  Though it was used for blacks and whites, the black members sat in a gallery in the rear.  Though services were interrupted at the time of the Civil War, services resumed when Rev. Jewel was appointed in 1868 and a Sunday School was organized.
 After the railroad was completed through the area, the city of West Monroe took hold.  The congregation decided to move to the new town.  The church was torn down and rebuilt in West Monroe.  A lot was donated to the church by Millsaps and McClain and others.  The church was rebuilt on the 150’ square lot.  A parsonage was completed in 1913.  Led by the Sunday School and the Women’s Missionary Society, the debt on the facilities was paid off by 1917.
 A new sanctuary was built on North Second and Wood Streets in 1920-21.  A new parsonage and an education building were built in 1955.
 In 1978, the congregation decided to relocate for better community outreach.  New facilities were constructed on 37 acres of land at Glenwood Drive.  The first service was held April 4, 1982.  In 1999, construction began on a Family Life Center.

How to Get There:
   Take exit 114 from I-20.  Head north on Thomas Rd. and turn right on Glenwood Rd.  The church will be almost a mile ahead on the left.



McGuire United Methodist Church

 City West Monroe
 Address 1200 Arkansas Road
 Membership 470
 Founded 1949

 After determining that there was a need for a Methodist church in that area of town, they sponsored the formation of a new congregation in 1949.  A temporary church was acquired in that year and a parsonage the following year.  In 1952, the first permanent church was completed.  A fellowship hall and education building followed soon after in 1955.  After a second parsonage in 1973, the current parsonage is the third one to be used.  The sanctuary was renovated in 1979.  The year 1980 saw the addition of a Christian Life Center.   In 1999, property was acquired a mile and half west of the church on Arkansas Road for the construction of new facilities.

How to Get There:
    Take the Claiborne exit (112) from I-20.  Go north to Hwy 80, then right, then left on Wallace Rd.  Turn right on Arkansas Rd. (Hwy 616).  The church will be on that road.



Woodlawn United Methodist Church

 City
 Address Jonesboro Rd.
 Membership 90
 Founded 1964

 The first Protestant services in the area were held in private homes.  A building was later constructed to be used as a church on Sunday and as a school during the week.  The Woodlawn congregation has its roots in several congregations that met over the years.
The Pine Grove Church is thought to have begin in the 1860s.  In 1901, Rev. Inabnet gave an acre of land for the Lapine Methodist church on Charlie Griggs Road, and a church was built in 1903.  By the late 1950s and early 1960s, the congregation’s numbers had dwindled.  They decided to build a new church in a new location.
Land on Hwy. 34, just west of the Woodlawn School, was purchased.  On August 16, 1964, the gray brick church was completed and the congregation of Lapine moved into the Woodlawn Church.
Some of the membership of Woodlawn can be traced to the Sardis (new and old) congregations).  Old Sardis was built in 1857.  The cemetery of the old church can still be found on Red Cut Road.  In 1903, a new church (New Sardis) was built on Ed Rutledge Road on land donated by Benjamin Frank Gewin.  As people and business moved away, that congregation grew smaller.  After the last service at Sardis in May 1931, the congregation joined the Lapine church.  The cemetery at the new Sardis location is know known as Rutledge Cemetery.
 In 1972, the Carroll Social Hall was constucted.

How to Get There:
   Head south on Hwy 34 from West Monroe.  When the road divides (Hwy 557 to the left and Hwy 34 to the right), stay on Hwy 34 (Jonesboro Rd.).  The church is on the right, 1.2 miles past the divide, just past Broomfield Rd.



Winnsboro United Methodist Church

 City Winnsboro
 Address 1502 West St.
 Membership 373
 Founded 1872
 Old church pic

 The Winnsboro congregation dates back to the middle of the 19th century.  Though the exact date of its founding is not known, the first baptism entry in the original record book is a by Stephen J. Davis as is dated 1854 or 1859.  A sign on the church says it was founded in 1847.  The record book itself bears the date 1858.  After meeting in homes and at the courthouse for a number of years, the first church structure was completed in 1872.
 After purchasing the property on August 26, 1872, the pines and oaks were cleared.  Solomon Lowry was hired to build the church.  It was painted white and had a bell in the steeple.
 Under the leadership of Rev. H.W. Rickey, a new $32,000 church was completed in 1927.  In 1957, an education building was added at a cost of almost $79,000.
 In the 1980s, the congregation felt the need to expand their outreach, especially to youth.  The idea to built an addition was approved on October 28, 1991.  Money was raised over a period of years, with $55,000 being given by Mrs. Teddie Hatfield in memory of her husband Charles.  The building was purchased, renovated, and named the Hatfield Building.  Rev. Charles Langford led in the consecration service (September 24, 1995) and in the dedication service (October 12, 1997).

 How to Get There:
   Take Hwy 15 south out of Monroe to Winnsboro.  Turn left at the flagpole (1/3 mile past the Hwy 130 intersection) and go to West St.  The church is on the corner.



Wisner United Methodist Church

 City Wisner
 Address 116 Wisner St.
 Membership 49
 Founded 1888

 On October 10, 1859, Samuel H. Copeland donated land to the Holly Grove Methodist Episcopal Church, South for a church.  The Civil War brought an end to the plans for a church until August 3, 1888, when Duncan Buie donated land for a church.  The Wisner congregation was organized in Holly Grove in 1888.  The church later bought land from the school board when the Holly Grove School was abandoned.
 When the railroad came through the area, more people moved into the Wisner area.  Worship services were held in a one-room school at the corner of Natchez and Wisner Streets.  In 1911, Edward Wisner donated land for a church to be built in town.  A new church was built for $2,300.  A parsonage was acquired in 1926.  The Holly Grove church was later sold to the Baptist congregation.
 A building fund began in 1958 under the leadership of Rev. Arby Coody.  The $50,000 church was built in 1961 under the leadership of Rev. Paul Durbin.  Services were held at the old Baptist church on Plum Street during construction.  While planning for a dedication in 1965, the new church burned down on July 8.  Services were held at the elementary school while the church was rebuilt.  Led by Rev. John Johns, the church was completed in January 1966 at a cost of $88,000.  The church was dedicated by Bishop Aubrey Walton on November 20, 1966.

How to Get There:
   Head south on Hwy 15 out of Monroe.  Upon reaching the Wisner community … 0.2 miles south of the Hwy 562 E. intersection on the left … turn right on Wisner St.  The church is on the right.