| In 1841, a Union Church was
built and utilized by Methodists, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians.
In 1842, the Plaquemine Methodist
Church was organized by Rev. William Winans, presiding elder of the Natchez
District of the Mississippi Conference. The Union Church was used
for services until it burned down in 1880. In 1884, a new church
building was erected. The old church was located in what is now the
new church's parking lot.
The first parsonage was built
in 184, just north of the present church.
It was a constant struggle for
the pastor to get people to attend Methodist services in the heavily Catholic
community. The Rev. J.E. Riddle wrote in 1892 that the Sunday School
was doing well, but could be improved if "parents would show a little more
interest." He also noted that they needed more teachers in the Sunday
By 1894, there were 112 white
and 1 black member in the congregation. Rev. H.S. Johns noted that
year that "worldliness and Sabbath desecration were the main evils" at
In 1953, the church was extensively
remodeled under the leadership of Rev. Bob McCammon. Additional Sunday
School rooms were added the following year. A new parsonage was built
in 1957 and the old one was used for Sunday School classrooms. By
1959, the debt of the church had been completely paid, and the church was
dedicated on October 29, 1961 by Bishop Walton.
In 1962, property was purchased
on Sebastian Road for a new location. Due to the high cost of moving,
they instead decided to add an educational annex, which was built in 1965
at a cost of $120,000. Three homes were purchased to use the space
for parking. There were 312 members on the roll at this time.